The content below is taken from the original (OpenStack Developer Mailing List Digest December 31 – January 6), to continue reading please visit the site. Remember to respect the Author & Copyright.
- Dims – Keystone now has Devstack based functional test with everything running under python3.5.
- Tell us yours via OpenStack IRC channels with message “#success <message>”
Time To Retire Nova-docker
- nova-docker has lagged behind the last 6 months of nova development.
- No longer passes simple CI unit tests.
- There are patches to at least get the unit tests work 1 .
- If the core team no longer has time for it, perhaps we should just archive it.
- People ask about it on ##openstack-nova about once or twice a year, but it’s not recommended as it’s not maintained.
- It’s believed some people are running and hacking on it outside of the community.
- The Sun project provides lifecycle management interface for containers that are started in container orchestration engines provided with Magnum.
- Nova-lxc driver provides an ability of treating containers like your virtual machines. 2
- Not recommended for production use though, but still better maintained than nova-docker 3.
- Nova-lxd also provides the ability of treating containers like virtual machines.
- Virtuozzo which is supported in Nova via libvirt provides both a virtual machine and OS containers similar to LXC.
- These containers have been in production for more than 10 years already.
- Well maintained and actually has CI testing.
- A proposal to remove it 4 .
- Full thread
Community Goals For Pike
- A few months ago the community started identifying work for OpenStack-wide goals to “achieve visible common changes, push for basic levels of consistency and user experience, and efficiently improve certain areas where technical debt payments have become to high – across all OpenStack projects.”
- First goal defined 5 to remove copies of incubated Oslo code.
- Moving forward in Pike:
- Collect feedback of our first iteration. What went well and what was challenging?
- Etherpad for feedback 6
- Goals backlog 7
- New goals welcome
- Each goal should be achievable in one cycle. If not, it should be broken up.
- Some goals might require documentation for how it could be achieved.
- Choose goals for Pike
- What is really urgent? What can wait for six months?
- Who is available and interested in contributing to the goal?
- Feedback was also collected at the Barcelona summit 8
- Digest of feedback:
- Most projects achieved the goal for Ocata, and there was interest in doing it on time.
- Some confusion on acknowledging a goal and doing the work.
- Some projects slow on the uptake and reviewing the patches.
- Each goal should document where the “guides” are, and how to find them for help.
- Achieving multiple goals in a single cycle wouldn’t be possible for all team.
- The OpenStack Product Working group is also collecting feedback for goals 9
- Goals set for Pike:
- TC agreeements from last meeting:
- 2 goals might be enough for the Pike cycle.
- The deadline to define Pike goals would be Ocata-3 (Jan 23-27 week).
- Full thread
- Guidelines current review:
- Full thread